- 4 cups water
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 container (6 ounces) halal unflavored low-fat yogurt (Do not use Greek yogurt, as it is too thick. Use only low-fat yogurt.)
Bring the water to a boil.
Stir the rice into the boiling water, bring to a boil, and cover. Then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
When the rice is ready, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add canola oil.
When the oil is hot, stir in the ginger, cumin, and jalapeño. Sauté for 30 seconds, then lower the heat on the skillet.
Stir in the rice, cilantro, salt, and yogurt. Combine and cook for 1 minute.
Serve the rice with roasted halal chicken, grilled salmon, or grilled halal lamb chops.