- 2 cups green freekeh
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup yellow bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup cilantro and parsley, chopped
Soak the freekeh in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes; then drain.
In a large saucepan with a tight lid, place vegetable broth and soaked freekeh. Add salt and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
Cover and bring to boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Lower heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until all water is absorbed.
In a cast-iron skillet over medium flame, heat remaining tablespoon olive oil, then add onion and sauté for a couple minutes. Add garlic, spices, vegetables and season with salt, to taste.
Cook until vegetables are tender.
Add cooked freekeh to vegetables and combine well.
Stir in lemon juice and serve topped with cilantro and parsley.