- 2 cans of organic black beans, drained and rinsed or 1 cup dried black beans, presoaked and drained
- 1 medium avocado, mashed (binding agent)
- ½ cup loose corn, room temperature
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper as desired
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Drain the beans and spread them onto a lined baking sheet. Bake the beans for 20 minutes until the beans are dried out.
Transfer the beans to a large, mixing bowl and mash the beans with a fork leaving some larger chunks to enhance the texture of the burgers.
Add the remaining ingredients and combine with a spatula. Form into patties, using about ⅓ cup per patty.
Place the completed patties in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to hold their shape. These burgers can be grilled, baked, or pan-seared on the stove-top.
For grilling, grill the patties for 6 to 8 minutes on each side.
For baking, preheat the oven to 375°F, and bake the patties on an oiled or lined baking sheet. Bake on each side for 10 to 12 minutes.
To cook over the stove, add a drizzle of oil and grill for 6 minutes on each side over medium heat.
Serve on a warm, toasted bun with preferred toppings (lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickles, and Cabot cheese slices are recommended). (Remaining uncooked patties can be frozen for later use.)