Servings: 12 | Prep Time: 20 min| Cooking Time: 45-60 min
2 lbs of Filo Dough- 1 lb for top layer and 1 lb for bottom layer
3½ cups granulated sugar/organic sugar
4 cups chopped nuts such as walnuts, almonds or pistachios
2 cups unsalted butter
1 cup water
measuring cups, spoons and bowls
1 baking pan 14 x 20 inches
1 basting brush and knife
- Wash your hands with soap and water, and have your kitchen gear ready to start baking this delicious treat.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In a bowl, mix ½ cup sugar and chopped nuts in a bowl.
- In a saucepan melt butter and skim off froth layer until butter appears clear.
- Grease pan with butter evenly.
- Gently spread first sheet of Filo dough in the pan, fold over excess dough and brush it with butter and the rest of the entire layer of dough.
- Spread sugar and chopped nuts mixture evenly over the dough.
- Gently put the other Filo dough layer on top of the nuts. Fold the excess dough over and coat the entire layer with butter.
- Cut Filo dough into even diamond shapes.
- With the help of your adult place baking pan on the middle oven shelf and bake for 45 minutes and check.
- Bake 10-15 minutes more or until top is light brown.
- Make sure to rotate the tray on the same middle shelf to bake baklava evenly and to prevent bottom layer from burning or turning dark brown.
- Prepare glaze in a medium-sized saucepan by adding one cup of water and the remaining 3 cups of sugar.
- Cook over slow heat until sugar and water come to a boil.
- Let syrup cool and pour over hot baklava.