- 2 cups of any type of dried split peas, washed and soaked for at least 2-3 hours
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 8 cups water or vegetable/chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- pinch of salt according to your taste
- 3-4 small pieces of chicken with bones (optional)
Heat peas and water to boiling in big 5-6 quart pot.
Add all other ingredients except carrots.
Once water boils, lower the heat, cover and cook for 3-5 hours at low temperature.
Remove bones from chicken, add chicken if desired and carrots, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until soup is at desired consistency.
Enjoy with garlic bread or by itself.