Feeds one elementary school class
5 lb. ground beef, washed
1 medium size onion chopped finely
4 green chilies
½ green bell pepper
1 tablespoon ginger root
1 bunch cilantro
2 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
2 teaspoon papaya paste (or meat tenderizer)
1 tablespoon salt
hot dog buns, toasted
6 inch bamboo or wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes.
15 black pepper corns
20 dry whole red chilies
1 cinnamon stick
2 big cardamoms
2 teaspoon white cumin seeds
2 tablespoon chick pea flour (Besan)
Raita Sauce Ingredients
1 cup yogurt, chilled
½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 cucumber (medium size), finely diced
2 green hot chilies, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- Slice onion, chilies, bell pepper, cilantro and ginger root; add to ground beef.
- Next add onion, papaya paste, ginger paste, garlic paste and salt to the ground beef and mix well.
- Toast all the dry ingredients, cool and grind into powder. Add to beef and mix well.
- Cover and marinate for an hour.
- Take meat out from fridge, moisten hands with oil regularly, pack meat onto skewers in sausage like shape.
- Using outdoor grill, cook kebabs for 5-6 minutes on each side. Keep rotating the skewers till the meat is reddish brown. (Avoid using a stove grill as it will dry the meat out.)
- Serve Seekh Kebab on a hot dog bun with a dollop of Raita Sauce.
Instructions for Raita Sauce
Whip chilled yogurt lightly, then add all ingredients to make a smooth paste. Serve on Sheek Kebab with hot dog buns.
Editor’s Note: Recipe for homemade bread, paratha, chappati or tortilla not provided.