Serving Size: 6 | Total Prep Time: 15 minutes | Baking Time: 40 minutes | Calories: 158 per serving | Total Carbs: 25g | Fiber: 1g
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar (can be substituted with baking sweetener)
- 4 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or a pinch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (alcohol free)
- 3 cups bread, cut into 1” cubes (whole grain bread or sourdough bread give good results and are high in fiber)
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon pecans for decoration
- light whipped cream, if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8”x8” dish with butter.
Place the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with raisins, cranberries and almonds.
Cook milk, sugar and the oil/butter on medium heat until the butter is melted. Make sure that the milk is just warm, not hot.
Whisk the egg whites and slowly add the milk mixture while beating the egg whites until they're blended. Add vanilla and salt.
Pour the egg and milk mixture over the bread cubes, making sure everything is nicely soaked. Top with pecans and cinnamon.
Place this dish in a bigger oven-proof dish. Fill the bigger dish halfway with hot water.
Put the dishes in the oven for 40 minutes or until the sides are golden brown.
Let cool and serve with whipped cream.