- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 6 cups Saffron Road™ Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth
- 1½ cups dried red lentils, washed and sorted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- small bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook until softened, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and curry powder; sauté for 2 minutes longer.
Stir in broth, lentils, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are very soft, about 40 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree half of soup in a blender until nearly smooth. Then, return it back to the pot.
Stir in coconut milk and reheat gently over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until warm; do not boil.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro just before serving, if desired.