Vegan Basil Pesto
4 bunches fresh basil (about 1½ cup tightly packed)
½ cup pine nuts or cashews
4 cloves garlic, chopped
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or a 15 oz can of chickpeas)
2 tablespoons vegan basil pesto
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1-3 tablespoons water or reserved chickpea liquid (optional)
salt to taste
Creamy Potato Soup
5 russet potatoes (medium to large size)
8 cups water
2 teaspoons dried dill
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Pesto Hummus Dip
fresh squeezed lemon juice to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Pesto Chickpea Dip
- If using canned chickpeas, drain, and set liquid aside.
- In a blender, combine chickpeas, vegan basil pesto, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Blend until creamy. Optional: During blending, add 1 tablespoon (or more) of water or the reserved chickpea liquid.
- Set aside.
Creamy Potato Soup
- Rinse potatoes and remove any blemishes (optional: peel potatoes).
- Cut potatoes into large pieces (approximately ¾” x ¾”).
- Peel and chop onions.
- Place potatoes, onions, and water into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add dill and 3 tablespoons of the Pesto Hummus Dip.
- Lightly blend the soup (using an immersion blender or a potato masher), leaving large chunks of potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle a pinch of dill over each bowl.
This quick and nourishing vegan soup gets its creaminess and subtle flavor (plus an extra nutritional boost!) from an easy-to-make Pesto Chickpea Dip. To save time, simply use canned chickpeas and pesto from the store! The Pesto Chickpea Dip may be served alongside the soup with pita chips or carrot sticks.