Old fashioned rolled oats meet East Indian spices for a sweet power breakfast that won’t let you down!
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch black pepper, ground
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup raw rolled oats (thick “old fashion” style)
- ¼ cup Organic Valley Salted Butter
- ¼ cup Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 teaspoons flax seed, ground raisins to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional, or maple syrup)
- Organic Valley Lowfat Milk (optional)
In a medium-sized heavy saucepan over moderate heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the spices and reduce heat slightly.
Add the oatmeal, sea salt, and butter. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a small bit of water (or Organic Valley Milk) if needed, during the cooking process.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cream, flax, and any of the sweet options. Pour on a bit of lowfat milk if you prefer oatmeal with a moat (“moatmeal”)!
Adjust spices as needed. For a quick spice fix, place 4 no-caffeine chai spice tea bags into the water to brew. Just remember to pull them out before adding the oats!