- ¾ cup dried chickpeas
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and largely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups Saffron Road™ All Natural Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup chopped roasted, unsalted cashews
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
Soak chickpeas in enough cold water to cover them by two inches for 6 hours or overnight. Or you can use one 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained.
Combine the soaked chickpeas, squash, carrots, onion, lentils, broth, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, saffron, salt, and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low until the chickpeas and lentils are tender to soft, about 5 to 6 hours.
Stir in lime juice and season with salt to taste.
Serve over brown rice or bulgur sprinkled with cashews and cilantro.
Place lime wedges on the side as garnish.