- 6 pounds halal beef soup bones
- 1 large onion, quartered, peel and all
- 3 large carrots, chopped 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, including some leaves, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsnip
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped with stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 cups water
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
In a shallow roasting pan, place soup bones, onion, and carrots.
Bake, uncovered, turning occasionally, for about 30-minutes or until the bones are browned.
Remove from oven and drain off fat. Place the browned bones, onion, and carrots in a large soup pot.
Add the water into the roasting pan, scrape the bottom, and pour this liquid into your soup pot.
Add potato, celery, tomato, parsnip, peppercorns, parsley, bay leaf, salt, thyme, and garlic to the pot.
Pour in all the water.
Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 hours.
Strain stock and discard the vegetables, meat, and seasonings.