- 1 whole halal roasting chicken with skin
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Tandoori spice powder
- 1½ tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
Fill cavity of chicken with sliced onion and cilantro.
Combine butter, chilies, and garlic with 1 teaspoon sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Gently rub the butter mixture under the skin of the chicken.
Combine the remaining ingredients (down to the olive oil), creating a paste-like mixture, with salt and pepper to taste.
Generously rub the mixture over the entire chicken, as well as underneath the skin.
Marinate in the fridge for 3 to 5 hours.
Use butcher’s twine to tie the chicken legs together.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Allow chicken to come to room temperature.
Place sliced carrots and potatoes on lightly greased roasting pan.
Place chicken on top of vegetables. Roast for 1 ½ hours, basting every 30 minutes.
Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter; cover with foil. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes.
Carve and serve immediately.