- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 cups fresh kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
Sauté garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper until fragrant.
Add kale and cook, tossing, until bright green.
Stir in water, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, and sugar; reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender. Remove from heat.
Allow some water to cling to the leaves, as the moisture will help in steaming the kale during cooking.