Serves 4 hungry middle schoolers
2 pound veal, washed
3 medium size onions, chopped
10 pods garlic, peeled
1 inch ginger root, peeled
¼ cup water
2 bay leaves
½ cup vegetable oil
10 whole dried red chilies, crushed
10 black pepper corns
1 small cinnamon stick
3 tablespoon yogurt, beaten lightly
cilantro for garnish
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
warm tortilla or chapatti
- Slice the onions and divide into two halves.
- Blend the peeled garlic pods, ginger root and water into a smooth paste. Add little more water if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a wide heavy saucepan over a medium heat. Add half the onions and stir fry until reddish-brown.
- Remove the fried onions and in the same oil, brown the cloves, black pepper corns, cinnamon stick, cardamom and bay leaves for a minute.
- Add ginger, garlic paste to the fried onions and brown.
- Add raw sliced onions and veal to the fried onions and spices, stir well.
- Stir yogurt into meat and cook on a low flame for 20 minutes.
- Add the crushed dried red chilies and salt and simmer for another 20 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- When the oil separates from the meat, or when done, turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and let the pan sit uncovered for a few minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, separate veal off bone and add as a filling to warm chapatti or tortillas.
- Wrap and serve.