Servings: 4, makes 10–12 cakes
3 cups raw corn kernels or canned sweet corn
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
¼ red onion, finely diced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
salt and pepper
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
½ cup grated Cabot® Cheddar Cheese
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup Organic Valley® Organic Buttermilk
2 tablespoons Organic Valley® Organic Butter, melted
¼ canola or vegetable oil
Tomato Avocado Relish
1 cup tomatoes, diced (or cherry tomatoes, halved)
4 green onions, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1 large avocado
- In a food processor, pulse 11/2 cups of corn kernels until the corn is just slightly puréed.
- In a large bowl, mix the corn purée, remaining corn kernels, flour, cornmeal, onion, basil, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper, jalapeño, and cheese.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, mixing just enough to combine the ingredients. Do not overmix the batter.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add canola/vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add one heaping tablespoon of batter at a time into the hot pan. Cook only about four at a time so that they cook evenly. Do not overcrowd them. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until nice and golden brown.
- Serve corn cakes warm topped with tomato avocado relish.
For tomato avocado relish, mix all other ingredients before adding avocado.